Internship Spotlight – Carolyne Eith

Name: Carolyne Eith

Year: Senior

Degree/ Major: B.B.A Marketing (emphasis in digital marketing), A.B. Public Relations

Hometown: Atlanta, GA

What encouraged you to apply to Grady College?

I came to UGA already knowing that I wanted to be a part of Grady College. I was an intended journalism major at the time and wanted to get to study in an award-winning journalism school under some of the best professors in the industry. I actually ended up switching to public relations my sophomore year. It’s been an amazing experience getting to know people in each department and appreciating everything Grady has to offer its students.

What activities are you involved in at Grady/ UGA?

In Grady, I am Co-Director of AdPR Connection, which is the student-run networking and career fair for advertising and public relations students. It has been by far my favorite activity I’ve been involved in with Grady, and I have made many invaluable connections and relationships through my time working on it. Outside of Grady, I also serve on the Executive Board for my sorority, Chi Omega, as Director of Programming.   

What internship did you have this past summer, and what were your responsibilities?

This past summer, I interned at Phase 3 Marketing & Communications as a marketing intern. I was able to take on a lot of responsibilities in this position and helped with multiple projects and accounts. My work ranged from assisting SEO strategy, to creating content calendars for the public relations department, to writing blogs and internal newsletters, as well as working on PPC campaigns. It was a great experience and I really enjoyed getting a feel for the agency world.

What was a memorable experience from your internship?

One of my responsibilities as an intern at Phase 3 was to create and deliver an internal weekly newsletter to the marketing department. I was given creative freedom for this project, so I decided to completely revamp the previous intern’s newsletter and created a brand new version. Originally, the newsletter was only sent to the marketing department, but it got such positive feedback that by the end of the summer, I was asked to send it out to the entire Atlanta office. The Senior VP of Marketing even reached out saying that she liked my writing and asked me to help her write a blog post to be published on behalf of the company. It was neat being recognized for my abilities, and I know that I wouldn’t have had that opportunity without the tools that Grady gave me to get there.

What part of your Grady experience (classes, professors, etc.) has been helpful in your internship or work experiences?

Honestly, all of my experiences in Grady have been helpful for work and internships one way or another. From honing my writing skills in PR Communications, to learning InDesign and Photoshop in Graphic Comm, to learning how to work under tight deadlines in PR Campaigns, all of my classes have prepared me for the internships and work experiences I’ve had. The teachers in Grady have also been an integral part of my experience. I remember going to Kim Landrum sophomore year to ask how I could get involved in Grady. She was so eager to help and gave me a list of clubs and activities to look into, which actually lead me to getting involved in AdPR Connection early on and eventually becoming Co-Director! 

What advice would you give to someone who is considering pursuing the internship you had?

Apply to anything that interests you! Internships are a great way to narrow down what you think you may want to do after college. I wasn’t sure what working at an agency would be like or if it was for me, but I applied anyway and am so glad I did, because I know now it’s what I want to do after college. I say when in doubt, apply, because you never know what might come from it and there’s no harm in getting your name out there.

What are your future goals and interests?

After college, I’m looking to move to New York and work for a marketing agency. Another goal of mine is to get my MBA at some point down the road. I’m sad to graduate, but I’m ready for an adventure and know that when I leave Grady I’ll have all of the tools, tangible and intangible, to succeed in whatever my first job is.

Author