AdPR Achiever: Sophia Galu, Black Wednesday

The AdPR Department is excited to feature our next AdPR Achiever, Sophia Galu. Sophia is our youngest alumni yet to be featured and is already making an impactful change in the field as a Project Marketing Coordinator at Black Wednesday in Charlotte, North Carolina. We had a chance to connect with Sophia to hear about her career experiences so far and soon-to-be graduates on navigating post-grad life  Please see Sophia’s thoughts below: 

In 100 words or less, briefly describe yourself and your career path. 

Honestly, I had no idea what public relations actually meant in high school when I was applying to college, but I knew that whatever job I pursued, it had to involve talking and people (these were always things I knew I was good at). I found that I could do both in a productive way when I entered the field of communications, and more specifically with PR. I now use my PR knowledge from school along with my inclination to network in marketing project management and I love it! 

What’s your biggest strength as a working professional? How has that evolved over time?

A strength that I consider to be very valuable in my career is my ability to network and build connections with people from all walks of life. I always loved talking and getting to know people, and honing the skill to create meaningful working relationships has been really beneficial in shaping my network in Charlotte, where I work, and beyond for new opportunities! 

What is one word you would use to describe your career journey? Why?

Educational – I am only one year into my post-grad journey and I am still learning what I want to do with my studies, and how I can fulfill personal interests as well. It has been trial and error so far, and I think it has been great experiencing different stages! 

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What’s your end goal? 

As Type-A as I consider myself to be, I don’t often think about my professional career. I very much operate under the idea that living in the moment is truly the best thing you can do for yourself, as to not feel like time is running out or to miss out on what is right in front of you. However, that being said, I would love to be working in a bigger city than I am now, in-house at one of my favorite publications or fashion brands, as this would satisfy both personal and professional interests. Ultimately, I want to continue enjoying the work that I do, considering it takes up such a large part of the day-to-day. Someday, I would also love the chance to work for myself. 

What’s a misconception about working in the industry that you have found to be different from what you initially thought? 

Public Relations and advertising people can get bad reps in the media for being aggressive workaholics who live a life of glamour and drama (think Samantha Jones a la Sex and the City). What I have found so far is that the professionals in my marketing and PR departments are some of the kindest, most well-rounded folks out there. They have established work-life boundaries that allow them to be real people who also just so happen to exceed in their jobs while living a full life, which is something I am currently working to become., 

What’s your favorite part about working in the advertising / PR industry?

The people! So far in my career, I have already had the chance to work with people in nonprofits, food and beverage, healthcare, businesses, other creative agencies, and more! I would have never met this many people in fields that I didn’t enter without working at an agency that loves diverse clients. The cool, glamorous perks of working in PR don’t hurt either! (restaurant openings, city events, fundraisers, etc.) 🙂 

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received or want to share from your own experience in regard to working in the industry? (and/or) About life in general?

“You are not a tree.” Some of my greatest anxieties and struggles as an individual, personally and professionally, have to do with flexibility in life. I often have to remind myself that nothing is forever and everything has the ability to change and grow; if you are unhappy in where you are, it is not forever and there are options to change. You are not rooted to the spot you are currently in for the rest of your life. Humans are intended to change, and frequently, so I am still working on rolling with the punches and letting myself feel flexible. 

We are proud to call Sophia one of our own! Please find her on LinkedIn to stay tuned for her future achievements. 
Sophia’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sophia-galu/

Authors