AdPR Achiever: Maya Jones, Digitas Health

The AdPR Department is excited to feature our next AdPR Achiever, Maya Jones. Maya impacts her field daily as a Senior Associate Producer, Project Management at Digitas Health. 

After graduating from Grady College with a degree in Public Relations in 2019, Maya landed an internship with Publicis Health, thanks to the connections she made throughout her college experience. She soon began a full-time role in November of the same year, working in project management. Throughout her tenure with Publicis, Maya has switched to different agencies within the company. As a go-getter, Maya attributes these internal moves to her willingness to speak up and ask for opportunities when she wants a change. 

Maya feels her biggest strength as a working professional is her ability to network and foster meaningful connections. She recognizes the value of making and keeping meaningful relationships. 

“When I was a student, I thought networking meant just speaking to senior-level professionals to get ahead, but I quickly learned that networking means making professional connections and keeping those meaningful connections. Now I know that any person I meet in this space is a form of networking, and whether it’s a colleague, a manager, a leadership team member, etc., each connection means something and is important.” 

Her career is a culmination of relentless effort. From her driven mindset and the people who have supported her along the way, Maya knows her success is a result of hard work. Maya’s dedication to her craft will only continue as she has bright goals for her future. 

In 5 years, I see myself continuing on my journey as a project manager while also being an avid leader in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programs and initiative both within my place of employment and outside of it.” 

Since beginning her career, Maya has learned that you do not need to know everything to succeed in your role. She encourages those beginning their career to bring transferable skills and a willingness to learn. 

A good employer will teach you everything you need to know on the job. It’s up to you to take those learnings and show them why you’re amazing in your role and a good asset to the company. I thought I would have to know so much to prove why I was a good hire, but I was encouraged to give myself time to learn, make mistakes, and ask lots of questions. It was such a relief to see.”

By far, Maya’s favorite part of working in the Advertising and Public Relations industry is the people. The talented people she’s met have left a long-term impression on her. 

“It’s pretty amazing how much you can learn from the people around you, but also how amazing the people creating this work are in everyday life.”

For current students, Maya’s most significant piece of advice is to always advocate for yourself. While other people may be in your corner, you have to make you know what you want, how you like to work, how you like to be managed, and set workplace expectations.  

“No one will fight harder for you than YOU. Be your biggest cheerleader rather than your biggest enemy or critic.” 

The AdPR department is proud to have young alumni like Maya who excel in the industry and continue to achieve their goals. We can’t wait to see what Maya accomplishes next. 

Find Maya on LinkedIn to stay up to date with her accomplishments.

Author