Senior Spotlight – Maya Jones

Senior Spotlight

The UGA AdPR Department is proud to feature some of our amazing Spring 2019 AdPR Graduates!

Meet Maya Jones –

Hometown: Cartersville, Georgia

Major: Public Relations

Campus Involvement: UGA Grady Ambassador, Director of Research of Talking Dog Agency, UGA Development and Alumni Relations communications intern, member of Eta Xi Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc, and member of PRSSA

What are your career goals in the next five years?

In the next five years, I hope to be hired as a junior communications coordinator for an advertising or public relations agency and later move up to senior communications coordinator. Whether I’m in Atlanta, New York, D.C, or anywhere else, those are the roles I plan to have in my career within the next five years.

What advice do you have for students who have the same career path goals as you?

Work hard and use your connections to help you get to that next step that you want in your career. The UGA network is larger than any of us could have imagined. Every single person in that network was once a student looking for and going through the same things as you. They want to hear from us, so reach out for anything ranging from advice to help on job applications.

What skills did you learn from your AdPR classes that will help you in your career after UGA? Were there specific classes that stood out to you?

The skills that I learned the most from my AdPR classes that will help me in my career after UGA are writing, verbally communicating, researching, graphic design, organization, and teamwork. The specific classes that stood out to me were Graphic Communications, PR Communications, AdPR Research, and AdPR Campaigns.

Do have any AdPR professors that really made a difference in your college experience?

Dr. Meng, Kim Landrum, Dr. Reber, and Kristen Smith are professors that have made a huge difference in my college experience in Grady. I learned so much from each of them that helped strengthen my skills, leadership abilities, and mostly my confidence in anything I embark on in this industry. I would be completely different if I would have never met them.

What will you miss most about being a student in the AdPR Department?

I will miss seeing the friends and colleagues that I have made during my time at Grady College in the AdPR Department. As a student who transferred in 2016, it was hard at first to make friends or get to know people. Thankfully, I found those people once I started classes in the AdPR Department. From each person that I met, I made connections and learned something that helped me become a better person and more skilled in this industry. I wouldn’t trade being a student in the department for anything in the world.

The AdPR Department is proud of Maya Jones and her accomplishments. We can’t wait to keep up with her achievements post-graduation.

Author