Student Spotlight – Gina Karseboom

gina

Name: Gina Karseboom

Major/Minor: Advertising Major, New Media Certificate

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia

Campus Involvement:

I am the Vice President of Networking and Professional Relations for AdClub. Additionally, I serve the role as the account executive for my team with Talking Dog, UGA’s student-run advertising agency. I am also a general member of my sorority, Sigma Delta Tau. Previously, I held a leadership role as the media chair for a mental health awareness organization on campus called You’re Not Alone.

Name of your position and company you worked with this summer:

Account Management Intern at Saatchi & Saatchi Wellness / Publicis Health

Where do you see yourself in 10 years / What’s your dream job?

Honestly, I have no specific dream job in mind. I would love to work in a collaborative environment in which I can become a successful advertising manager and/or an entrepreneur. I’d also love to explore working in a marketing department for a health and wellness brand. I’m open to all opportunities and I am looking forward to seeing where my career path leads me.

What skills did Grady College teach you that you were able to apply to this position this past summer?

Grady College prepared me to communicate effectively and network with my fellow interns as well as mentors and managers. Grady also helped me to understand the functions of the various departments in an advertising agency. Because of the courses I’ve taken at Grady, I was able to understand not only my role but also the roles of my fellow interns working in different departments.

What advice do you have for students wanting to work or intern at this company or in this kind of position?

Don’t be afraid to network. Introduce yourself to the representatives of companies at career fairs and ask for their contact information as well. Make a lasting impression and maintain the relationship. Networking truly helps candidates to stand out and make a great impression.

What Grady classes best prepared you for your position this summer, and how so?

I feel that ADPR 3110 (Messaging Strategy) best prepared me for my internship position at Saatchi & Saatchi Wellness. It was the first class that introduced me to advertising campaigns and the process in which they are created. Advertising campaigns require difficult creative work and conceptualization, and I learned to admire and respect the entire process. Additionally, I realized my strengths and skills of organization and communication, so I naturally became the account manager/project manager for the group project.

What skills did your position this summer teach you that you will apply to your career after UGA?

This internship left me with the most valuable experience I could’ve asked for — I became an effective leader. I learned to arise from difficult situations and utilize my problem-solving skills in order to achieve the best results for the client. I also learned how to network and maintain relationships with my managers and mentors who introduced me to the advertising industry. I appreciate their dedication to advertising and I will certainly carry this passion throughout my career after UGA.

UGA’s AdPR Department loves hearing from successful students like Gina! Keep up the good work!

Author